Friday, October 30, 2009

Flashback Friday: The One That Started It All


Here are my Michael and me at Halloween 1997. At this point, we were engaged to we be wed in two short months. I don't remember whose idea it was to coordinate costumes or how we came up with the toothpaste/toothbrush theme. I do remember that I worked on mine and he did his all on his own (last time that happened).

I bought a snazzy white polyester jumpsuit at the local thrift shop--Deseret Industries--and did some old-fashioned cut and paste with construction paper to make my label. My roommate's bedside lamp had the cutest little shade that was the exact shape of the lid of a tube of toothpaste so I popped that thing on my head and called myself Crest. (Like my fancy glass of my roommate's Kool-Aid Halloween Punch?)

Michael used poster board to fashion his bristles and secure them as a head dress. We agreed that his blue jeans and blue t-shirt made him a respectable toothbrush handle.

And so there you have it: the Halloween that started all the coordinating costume craziness.

9 comments:

Kel said...

I love it!

Deb said...

who is that child on the left?? :) that's so sweet, a tradition born in engagementland.

(my verification word is "unbride" - hmmmmm... strange coincidence...)

Life In a Blended Family said...

So great! I am so happy you did this post! :)Love your enthusiasm and what a great tradition.

Katie said...

That is so awesome. I wish that I had half the ambitions that you have! These posts are very inspiring, although I will never be able to accomplish anything of the sheer magnitude that you do every Halloween! Good work!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Can't wait to see what this years costumes are!

Jenni said...

What a sweet Halloween remembrance and picture! I too am waiting most anxiously to see what you guys were this year!!

Heidi said...

So awesome!

. . . so . . . how about this year? I'm dying to see!

Melodie said...

I really think I am losing my mind! Was I there? I vaguely remember having a Halloween party in that apartment, but I have no idea what I went as! You guys looked so cute!

Cami said...

Nice! So like a man to make a hat and call it a costume. :)

Quotation of the Month

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

-Jill Churchill