Monday, September 22, 2008

The Name Game

When I was writing Maia's birthday post, I was reminded of a funny story that happened to me last Christmastime. I never posted it here before, and some of you may have heard it, but I think it's a good one.

I was in Game Stop purchasing extra Wii controllers the day after Christmas. The line in the store was ridiculously long so I was there for a while (like I was in line for over 45 minutes). Thankfully, I was shopping sans children. The mother behind me was not so lucky. As you can imagine, the long wait was making some of the little folks in the store crazy. Before long, I heard the mother behind me say, "Maia, stop that!" to which her daughter responded, "It wasn't me, Mom. It was Marlee!"

I whipped around in amazement. "You have daughters named "Maia" and "Marlee?" I asked. The poor woman couldn't understand why I was so surprised. "Yes," she responded. "So do I," I explained. (side note: we didn't discuss spellings and, frankly, I assume her girls' names are spelled differently than mine, but the key here is the pronunciation.)

We laughed and started chatting some more. As it turned out, we both had four kids. She had her oldest three with her. She put her arm around her son and introduced him, "And this is my son, Mason." My eyes just about bugged out of my head, "Shut up!" I said. She looked at me like she didn't believe me; I honestly think for a minute that she didn't. I assured her that I, indeed, have a son named Mason, brother to Maia and Marlee. It was unreal!

I whipped out a photo of my kids from my wallet and showed her and her kids their white counterparts. Her fourth child's name was "Maddox" so we didn't have that last bit in common. But can you believe this? What are the odds that I would randomly meet some lady who named 3/4 of her children with the same names as 3/4 of my children? I'm no statistician, but I'm guessing pretty slim.

The thought did cross my mind to introduce myself formally to the woman, but I refused to act on it. I mean, if ever I was going to randomly meet another "Mendy," I think it would have been that woman. And we all know I am just not ready to meet someone else with a the same name
I have.

17 comments:

Jenni said...

That is a crazy story!! I love that you never want to meet another Mendy!! I guess as a Jenni I've never entertained that thought!:)

Joni said...

That is so weird/funny/great story! I can only imagine how animated you must have been, especially when Mason popped up. I'm with you on not wanting to meet another Mendy. I like being the only Joni I've ever known (personally). (And yet I named my thirdborn "Sara"?...)

Jessica said...

I remember you telling me this story. I couldn't believe it then and I still have trouble believing it now. Seriously, what are the odds of that? (Your mathematical husvand could probably help you figure those exact odds out!)

Jann said...

Wow, small world. That must have been weird.

Cami said...

WOW. That is seriously incredible. Wow.

laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laura said...

Funny story about your name. Noah, in his five years of life, would never think your name is unique, it's what he's always known. Well, we now have a neighbor named Mindy. After meeting her he says to me, "Mindy! that's a weird name isn't it, Mom?!" It cracked me up.

Amber said...

M, m, m. What begins with M?? Every freaking name in your family!! That's what the odds are!!

Christie said...

I bet she was a mendy! How funny, those odds are REALLY unlikely!

supersonicjan said...

sounds like a star trek episode or something. so there is totally this kid in my class named mendy, only it's a guy. just FYI

Wendy said...

I've never met another family with all our same names before, but in everytime we've had a baby another baby in our ward names their child the SAME NAME in a matter of months. I think I told you the unpleasant feelings I had the last time, after another Lily was born. Yes, it has happened again. A couple of months ago a couple in our ward just named their baby Amelia, when ours was just 7 months old. I think it's insensitive.

Tracy said...

I'm going to have a baby and name her Mendy. Or I'll tell my sister to name her next baby Mendy and force you to meet her!

Meg said...

That is crazy talk! I had a family of 7 or 8 in my ward growing up that all had names beginning with "m" and none of them had any of your family's names (not even a Michael!)

SuddenlySouthernCyndi said...

Great story and cute blog! Some pretty darn cute kiddos, too. Just stopping by to say "hi". We share a MIL, BTW.

Melodie said...

Okay, that is just amazing! I really can't believe it! I love how you don't want to meet another Mendy. I remember when we were at BYU, and I told you one day how I had heard someone yelling "Mendy" out on campus. I looked around to find you, but it was another Mendy. (In retrospect, I am certain that her name was Mindy or Mandy. Perhaps the person shouting out to her had a speech problem. Whatever -- the girl's name was definitely NOT Mendy!) At the time, I thought you might be interested to know about your name twin, but boy was I wrong!:) I can't blame you though. I switched majors when I discovered something like 7 Melodies in one of my El Ed classes! And two of them were even spelled the same way I spell it! The nerve!!

Deb said...

yes, i think your choice not to ask her name was a good one. with those kind of naming-vibes in common, really, why take the chance?

the design boss said...

How fun is that?? What a fun story to happen the day after christmas while waiting in line forever. It would brighten anyones day!

Quotation of the Month

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

-Jill Churchill